Friday, March 29, 2013

A call to arm: Outlaw the Pepper!!!

Okay people, I have a bit of a PSA to deliver here and I think it is a very important read because as soon as I get back to the states I fully intend on calling my local lawmakers to ensure that my "Pepper Initiative" gets enacted. No person should ever unwittingly experience what I did just last night with this evil fruit. And yes, the chili pepper is a fruit. I googled it before I posted that!

So, why my firm stance on outlawing the pepper? Well, last night my hubby got home early which was super exciting because he doesn't usually show his foxy self until around 6pm. As per our norm, after he sent me a text saying the he was on his way home, the "whats for dinner" conversation ensued. Since neither of us really wanted to go into town because of the horrendous Friday afternoon traffic, we decided to get take-out from the Thai restaurant across the street from our compound. A few weeks back we discovered that this particular restaurant makes a mean steamed veggies in oyster sauce so that is what I ordered. Unbeknowlingly to me, the first time my hubby ordered this particular dish he ordered it as "not spicy". The "not spicy" part is a big thing around here, especially if you wish to avoid what I have affectionately termed as "dragon ass" (use your imagination on that one!), so we ALWAYS order "not spicy" if the dish has two versions. When I saw this particular dish on the menu there were not two versions, so imagine my surprise when the second time we ordered this dish that it was in fact spicy and contained two red chili peppers.

Now, the red chili pepper is not the pepper that I have a problem with. It's the damn orange chili pepper that got me last night and is the one I want outlawed. You see, this chili pepper was masquerading as a carrot, which is in the dish, hence my confusion. So, as we are sitting at the dinner table and having a rather pleasant conversation about our future and our current maid problem, I see what I thought was a plump juicy carrot. I hadn't really eaten all day so I dug in with a vengeance and soon, oh so soon, realized my colossal mistake. Orange chili pepper; oh how I loathe you!!

A smart person would have realized that there were two versions of this dish, right?? I mean, after getting a spicy version the second go around I should have known that it was a possibility that the next time it would be spicy as well, especially if I did not specify. Well folks, a smart person I am not because I swear that it looked just like the slices of carrots in the dish. I think the worst part of assuming that this chili pepper was a carrot was that I took such a big bite of the darn thing. And to top it off, the end that I did not see was actually cut open so that when i bit down the juice flew all over not only my tongue, but my lips, chin, and apparently my hand which decided to swell slightly and turn bright red. After a few four letter words murmured silently behind by burning lips I start chugging water like there was no tomorrow. Since that wasn't helping AT ALL, my hubby suggested that I try milk. Even though it didn't totally take away all my pain, it did relieve it slightly.

Once all the pain had finally left me, and once I was finally able to form sentences again, my hubby, with a rather confused look on his face, asked me why I decided to eat a pepper that even Thai people don't eat. Umm, well, I thought it was a carrot! So yes people, I ate the pepper that even Thai people don't eat. Fantastic!! Oh, and to top it off, even though I didn't think that I swallowed that much of the pepper juice apparently I did. I realized this when after dinner was done I got a rather bad case of the hiccups and the juice came back up with each one. So yes. It was a rather unpleasant dinner experience.

When we arrive back home in around four months or so, I hope you will all join me with outlawing this evil fruit who has the audacity to masquerade as the carrot. I plan on starting a petition soon ;-0

Until next time!

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment