Monday, September 10, 2012

I cooked!

I cooked! I know that doesn't sound like a huge deal or anything, but trust me it is. We have been here for a week and have been playing the "is this good or not" at just about every meal. At our first hotel they had a ton of "western" foods to choose from, and while the selection was much more limited at our second hotel, we still ate well. The trouble we ran into was on our first day of house hunting/school touring...

Our guides were sort of in charge of the whole day including where we ate, and since we had no idea of where we were, we just tagged along. So, being the nice guides that they were, they took us to a hotel that was supposed to have "everything" as they put it. However, since the hubby and I were ready to try Thai food we ordered Pad Thai noodles instead of our "western" food. Now, normally I love the stuff. Can't get enough kind of love. But this? This was not good. So not good in fact that the guide who ordered it, a native Thai mind you, didn't even eat it. It smelled awful. I mean really awful! Poor lady was trying to teach us how to eat the food by adding the different condiments and such, and she couldn't even stomach it. So after that incident and after ordering several different chicken dishes that didn't look quite like chicken, we decided to stick to mainly eating breakfast. At least that meal seems to be somewhat universal in its selection.

The next day the guides were much more accommodating to us (and to themselves it seems) and took us to a place called Food Loft. Despite the fact that we all ordered Chinese it was much closer to what we Americans were used to. Sandwiches, plain grilled chicken, chicken fried steak, etc. The kids loved the place and the view off the balcony was awesome! The problem however is that we can't drive. And calling up our driver just to take us to dinner seems a little silly, or at least right now it does. Ask me in a few months how I feel! Anyway, we did ask him to take us grocery shopping for supplies and I made my very first pot of meatless spaghetti. It was the first meal where every single one of us cleaned our plates! It made me feel good as a wife and mother that something so simple as cooking for my family can make them feel better and at home. I think we will be eating in more often!

I hope all is well with everyone!
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Your driver is paid to be there for you! Dn't feel guilty calling him to take you to dinner or anyplace you would go if you were driving yourself! That's why you have him. I was the same way but quickly got over it. Ours was an extension of our family and I miss him - so sweet. He was pretty much with us from sun up to sun down and beyond. Try going to Foodland for lunch! They have awesome and fresh food - only downside is if you're taking 3 kids, it might be hard to find 4 spots together and they are bars tools. Great food though ( I always ate Thai).. My absolute favorite Thai restaurant is Ruin Mai ( pronounced lui my by most Thais). Very kid friendly and neat atmosphere outside restaurant on S. Sukhumvit. Only downside is they speak less English. My maid introduced me to it and we often went there together so she could do the ordering - and she loved it also!

    ReplyDelete