Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Old white dudes need not apply...

We were warned about some of the, how do you say it.. "different" things as for as people go here in Thailand. Sure, we had heard about the lady boys (thank you Hangover 2!!) , gay scene, and the sex culture. What we didn't hear however, but very quickly saw, is that Thailand is flooded with old white dudes. Apparently old white dudes love Thai women. Or better, yet, as our guide put, Thai women like old white dudes. It seems that Thai women see white men as more stable and loving towards their families (per our guide). I mean seriously though, they (old white dudes, or OWDs) are as popular as Star Bucks and Bank of America in L.A. You see them everywhere and on every corner! You sometimes even see them in packs. It actually became a game between the hubby and I who could see more old white dudes.   I think the funniest OWD we saw was one who was with a very obvious lady boy (super tall, big hands, wide shoulders, ton of make-up). Now, we aren't sure if he (the OWD that is) knew this or not, but he seemed very proud to have her/him on his arm.

Now, as for what our guide told us, we have no idea if any of this is true. But, here is the info she gave us. Thai women out number Thai men. Take into account that it seems that half of Thai men bat for the other team in some form or fashion, and women outnumber them even more. She said this reason, as well as the more stable reason previously mentioned, is why OWDs like it here. They can find plenty of good looking young women looking for a nice husband.

And finally, the lady boy or very girly man. This is something that I personally find very fascinating, especially since I can spot them and my hubby has trouble doing so. We have this very lovely lady boy, but very much bio man, who works in our hotel. Super nice person. When I informed the hubby of this fact, the look of shock on his face was priceless. He had no idea and was quizzing me on which lady at the front counter was her. Last night when we got back from dinner she was the one who brought our bags up to our room. Once she left I looked at the hubby with this expected look on my face and his response was "What? i see that the room is clean but I sense that isn't why you are looking at me like that. What am I missing? I feel it is something big.". Yes, dear sweet man of mine. You did miss something. Did you not notice that the girl handing you your bags had hands like a professional basketball player and could probably palm a basketball??? Not to mention she sounded like a MAN.  His response when told was something along the lines of "wow, she really fooled me!".

So with that being said, this post is in honor of my lovely sister in law A, who was very interested in regards to this topic as well as the topic of certain monkeys!

Until next time, I hope all is well!
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. It's all about $, the Thai women are not attracted to the OWDS, as much as the perception of all foreigners having money ( even though a good portion of them are as broke as the average Thai guy.). Also, like you mentioned, that they are perceived as being more stable and will stick around and raise their babies. My maid told me that it is common to dress little boys ( from age 2 even) like girls and apply make up - they think it's cute and funny. Might add a little to the sexual identity confusion you think? Also viewed as a potential income resource sadly.

    ReplyDelete