Monday, September 10, 2012

Please slow down!

I believe that I mentioned in a previous post the we have a driver here in Thailand. Now before you go thinking that this is some sort of prestigious thing, don't! It's about safety, although I'm not really sure just how safe it is. If you know me on Facebook you have seen my pictures of the roads that we travel on and know that they are rather small and congested.  What you don't see in the pictures however is how aggressive the drivers drive around here. Scooters dart right out in front of you and it is your job to make sure you don't hit them. Big vans move with the speeds of race cars. It really is frightening! Because of that and because they drive on the opposite side of the road here, the company that hubby works for has provided us with a driver.

Our driver seems like a nice man.  He is great with the kids and he loads my groceries into the back of the van for me. And, he seems like a decent driver by Thailand standards. He navigates those tiny little roads very well and he hasn't hit a scooter driver yet. To me however, by my American standards, the dude drives like a bat of hell! Our first ride with him I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes. Now, I'm not sure if he really does drive that fast or if it just seems that way since I cant see what speed he is going, but man it feels fast!

We have only had one problem with the guy and it doesn't really pertain to his driving skills. When he found out where we were going to be living he tried talking us out of the house. He wanted us to live closer to the city or in the city. We however did not want that because we would then be too far from the big kid's school and the hubby's work. He tried telling us that the school wasn't as good as the one in town and that is was too far for him to drive to come and pick us up. We didn't really know where to go with all of that so we just sort of dropped the subject and figured we would figure it out later. Well, the hubby had to go in yesterday for his first day of work and they asked him how he liked the driver. He said that he was working out fine but that we may need to seek an alternative because of the distance thing. Apparently they were already aware of the situation because the driver had mentioned it to them and he was told that he had two choices: hitch a ride with another driver going that way or to rent an apartment closer to us. The third choice was an unspoken one but I am sure you all know what it was. We have no idea what the driver decided to do, but as of this morning he still drives for us so...

Anywho, I guess the driving thing is yet another thing that I am going to have to get used to. I never realized that a person still had a lot of growing to do at 30.5 years old, but I guess I do now! In the mean time I just pray that our guardian angel flies really fast!

Until next time, I hope all is well!
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment