Tuesday, October 2, 2012

You want to pay someone to do what???

Yes, that is the question that I posed to my hubby the other night while lying in bed (well, something along those lines anyway). And before you go thinking bad thoughts or anything like that, just because we were in bed is no indication of the topic of our conversation :-). As we were lying there, discussing our day, the hubby casually rolls over and says in a very sweet voice "You know Kris, if you want to pay the maid to come over an extra day, I'm okay with that." Hmm,  okay, that set my spidey senses off big time! Now, I know that the man likes a clean house. But, I also know that the man doesn't like to spend a lot of money. He especially doesn't like to spend a lot of money on things we can do ourselves.  I also know that the he didn't originally think that we needed a maid that often. So why did he want her to come over more? My first reaction was to ask him if he thought I was doing a bad job on the days that she wasn't here. Of course, I knew what his answer would be to that question so there was no need in asking it. And in case you are wondering what he would have said, well, lets just say that he didn't marry me because of my house keeping skills! In fact I think the number one reason why he was so excited to move to Thailand was because we would be able to afford a maid and for the first time in our married life he would have a spotless house at least a few days a week.

Anyway, after thinking on it a bit, and trying to think of all the things that had happened that week that would prompt that question from him, I suddenly realized why he was wanting her to come over more. It wasn't for a spotless house one extra day a week or anything like that. He was trying to BUY me a friend! God bless the man! He knows what a pathetic mess I am when it comes to friendships. I guess after all the complaining I did earlier in the week about how I would never be able to be involved with the other ladies in the community because of the difference in ages amongst our kids, and how I was destined to live a life of solitude for the next year, his solution was to buy me a friend for one day a week. So I ask him about it, and sure enough, he confirms my suspicions. He didn't seem to think that my solution of him coming home by noon every day and not going in to work a least two days a week was a valid solution to my friendless and life of solitude problem. So yep, yours truly is the girl who needs to buy friends!  Not the cool "Girl on Fire" (kudos if you got that reference), but the girl who buys friends. What's really funny was that he didn't even seem to think she needed to clean when she came over the extra day. She just needed to be here to keep me company :-)

So, with all of that being said, this "Girl Who Buys Friends" has to go get her big kid from school. Thankfully they have a short day today because he doesn't seem to be feeling all that well. Apparently, everyone in the class has some kind of crud that they seem to be passing around to one another. Until next time, I hope all is well!
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment